Bureaucrats are WikiStates users with the technical ability to:
- promote other users to administrator or bureaucrat status
They are bound by policy and consensus to grant administrator or bureaucrat access only when doing so reflects the wishes of the community, usually after a successful request at WikiStates:Requests for adminship. They are expected to be capable judges of consensus, and are expected to explain the reasoning for their actions on request and in a civil manner.
Bureaucrats do not have the ability to remove admin rights from users or to grant other levels of access (they cannot assign oversight or checkuser rights). Changes in user rights by admins are recorded at Special:Log/rights.
- Wait at least seven days after the listing was made on WikiStates:Requests for adminship.
- Check the history for the transcluded page to be reasonably sure that the comments are genuine.
- Determine whether there is a consensus that the person should be promoted using the traditional rules of thumb and your best judgement.
- If so, promote to admin or bureaucrat using Special:Makesysop.
- Remove the request from requests for adminship.
- Inform the user of the result, whether it is successful or unsuccessful.